Thursday 12 January 2012

Week 1 - The chicken soup debacle

Having felt that the Yorkshire Puddings had gone well I thought I would have a go at another new recipe as I was feeling that maybe the Yorkshire Pud's would be thought to have been too simple.  I think it would be fair to say that I maybe got a little ahead of myself and was feeling a tad over-confident.

Having some left over chicken that was still on the carcess I decided on a Chicken Soup recipe by the wonderful Tessa Kiros in my favourite looking cookery book "Apples for Jam".  I love love love this book. I also have Tessa's 'Venezia' book which I have cooked nothing from as yet but love to peruse for the wonderful images of Venice held within the books pages.


Anyway, back to the chicken soup. It did not go well.  Mainly because I decided to adapt the recipe rather than follow the recipe to the letter and using all of the ingredients listed.  I should have been wary when I spotted the word 'broth' as I prefer my soups to be thick and creamy but I was, I think,  seduced by the word 'velvety'.


These were  the ingredients listed in the recipe:-

1 chicken (approx 1.2kg)
1 leafy celery stalk
2 small carrots
1 small leek
12 black peppercorns
50g butter
30g plain flour
1 egg
2 tablespoons marsala or port
Freshly grated parmesan or pecorino cheese


I didn't have the egg, the marsala or port, or the cheese.  And also, I was using very little (already cooked) chicken and mainly working with the bones - yes, ridiculous I know! Assuming you do have all the ingredients, this is what should have happened...apparently...

The (uncooked) chicken should be put into a pot with the chopped vegetables and about 3 litres of water.  Add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. After skimming any excess oil from the surface, then simmer for 1hr 30mins. Next, set aside the chicken and strain the remaining liquid into a clean pan.  Take the meat from the chicken, tearing half of it into stips and blending the other half.

Melt the butter in a pan then add the flour and stir together.  Bit by bit, add the strained liquid, mixing well each time to ensure there are no lumps. When all the liquid has been added, simmer for 10mins and then add the marsala or port.and all of the chicken meat - both the blended and the strips. Then simmer for another 10 mins.  Add the beaten egg to the chicken broth stirring through for a couple of minutes over a very low heat.

Serve immediately with a generous spoon of the cheese on top.

Sounds delicious.

Back to my reality.  Basically, I made what was, in effect, a good chicken stock.  I should have quit whilst I was ahead. But no.  I had a last ditch attempt at thinkening the 'soup' by adding - wait for it...two paxkets of asparagus cuppa soup.  I know I know.  Clearly the wrong thing to do.  The finished result, at best, was unpleasant. 

I have, however, learnt a valuable lesson.  Ingredients are listed for a reason.  Whilst some substitution and improvisation may be ok, there is a limit. I shan't be making that mistake again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment