Friday 6 April 2012

Ooh la la

Last Monday was our first wedding anninversary.  We had decided we would stay in and so it seemed like the perfect time to cook up a fancy dinner. 

I'm not sure a beef stew, or casserole if you prefer, could be deemed as being fancy. Unless of course, it has French origins.  All things Frech seem a little bit more fancy to me.  And none more so than when it comes to food.

Which is how I came to be cooking up THE most delicious Beef Bourguignon.  I used a Rachel Khoo recipe - which can be found by clicking here.  I'll try to post the recipe soon when I have more time.

For anyone unfamiliar with Rachel Khoo, she is the one of 'The Little Paris Kitchen' which is both the title of her cookery book and the BBC2 programme which is showing in the UK on Monday evenings at 8.30pm.

Rachel Khoo.  Picture from the Guardian Website

I love and loath this Rachel woman in equal measure.  She is gorgeous, funny, and passionate about food.  She manages to be both glamourous, AND quirky.  She's cool in a chic-vintage sort of way.  For heavens sake, the woman lives and cooks in Paris.  I WANT TO BE HER. I want to speak French fluently as I mingle with the locals - my neighbours - after having moved to the beautiful city to train as a pastry chef.

Anyway.  Rachel Khoo I may not be.  But it turns out that I, like Rachel, can cook up a mean Beef Bourguignon.  When I use her recipe ;)

It may not be the prettiest of dishes to serve up, but with it's rich red wine sauce infused with fragrant rosemary and thyme, it tastes fantastic!  We ate ours with roasted root vegetables glazed in maple syrup, pan-fried green beans and creamy mash...perfection.


1 comment:

  1. Had to laugh about your comments on Rachel Khoo. I feel the same (of course, separated twin syndorme strikes again). I think she only annoys me too because I am ever-so-slightly jealous and envious of her perfect Parisian life. And her ability to wear red lipstick and cook amazing things in a shoebox kitchen. And those shots of her swanning about the Paris food markets make my heart ache and want to move back to Paris instantly and worry about everything else practical later. At least you have gorgeous dinner plates. I must get me some of those so I can feel better about not being Rachel Khoo xxx

    ReplyDelete